Bavarian Fairytale Christmas Tour
10 days only $4,399 pp twin share
- Enjoy a leisurely 6 nights stay in Oberammergau
- Stay in authentic, character style hotels
- Genuinely inclusive, no additional on tour costs
- Guaranteed 'My Time'
- Designed for Australians & New Zealanders
- Personal group sizes up to 40
- Celebrate Christmas over 6 nights in the Bavarian village of Oberammergau
- Savour the fabulous Christmas Markets in Frankfurt, Rothenburg, Würzburg, Bamberg, Nürnberg, and Ulm
- Enjoy a traditional Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas Day Turkey lunch
- Stay 2 nights in the cobble stoned streets of Rothenburg close by perhaps the most romantic of all Christmas Markets and enjoy a Nightwatchman walking tour
- Visit the baroque Würzburg, starting point of the ‘Romantic Road’ plus Nürnberg , UNESCO World Heritage listed Bamberg and Ulm with its massive steeple
- Visit picturesque Wieskirche, relax on a horse drawn carriage ride
- Experience the incredible funicular and cable car rides up to the summit of the massive Zugspitze mountain and take in the views across 400 snow covered mountain peaks
- Visit Neuschwanstein Castle, extravagant Linderhof Palace and the Passion Play Theatre
- Stand in awe on top of Innsbruck’s Olympic Ski Jump and visit medieval Innsbruck
Day 1: Frankfurt
Day 2: Wurzburg Christmas Markets, ‘My Time’ in Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber and a Night Watchman torchlit walk
We soon reach the baroque city of Würzburg, starting point of the ‘Romantic Road’, where we explore the Altstadt (old town) with its Christmas markets scattered amongst the historic buildings. We then continue to nearby Rothenburg, possibly the finest medieval city in all of Europe, where we stay two nights. Your afternoon is free to enjoy the delightful cobblestoned streets, ramparts and turrets of picture perfect Rothenburg. A ‘must do’ is a visit to the famous ‘Christmas Shop’ known for its stunning displays. The Christmas Markets, set in the narrow alleys, are perhaps the quaintest you will ever see. This evening, after dinner in your hotel, we have included a special treat - a torchlight tour with the Night Watchman through the beautifully preserved ramparts and winding streets.
Day 3: Bamberg and Nürnberg Christmas Markets
Day 4: The Romantic Road, Ulm Christmas Markets and Oberammergau
Travelling south on the Romantische Strasse (Romantic Road) we enjoy a long stop at Ulm, which sits astride the Danube. The magnificent gothic church, with its 161 metre tall steeple (the highest in the world) stands majestically on Münsterplatz square. In this ancient square you will find the large Christmas markets filled with 120 stalls. Mid afternoon we drive on to the mountains and the historic village of Oberammergau and our Christmas hotel where we stay the next six nights. Famed for its ‘Passion Play’ performances which have been staged every 10 years since the 1600’s, Oberammergau is set in the picturesque Ammer Valley beneath snow capped mountains. The town itself is also famous for its beautifully painted houses and chalets. On arrival we will be greeted with a welcome drink. All dinners, including traditional Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas Day Turkey lunch are included over the next six nights.
Day 5: Christmas Eve at the top of the world – the mighty Zugspitze!
Day 6: Christmas Day – ‘My Time’ in a Bavarian village and a horse drawn carriage ride
Christmas Day as it should be - relaxing, eating, drinking and definitely no Indiana Jones repeats, washing up and unwelcome long-lost relatives! Highlight of the day will be your ride in a horse drawn carriage through the local countryside. Enjoy a Christmas Day Turkey lunch at your hotel. Your afternoon will be free in this delightful Alpine location. Perhaps go for a winter walk or take a cable car to the top of the ski fields.
Day 7: Neuschwanstein Castle, Wieskirche and Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Day 8: Linderhof Palace, Kloster Ettal and the Oberammergau Passion Play Theatre
Day 9: Olympic ski jump and ‘My time’ in Innsbruck
Day 10: To Munich
Incredible Value Inclusions
- All excursions, scenic drives, sightseeing and entrances as described
- Fully escorted by our experienced Tour Manager
- Travel in a first class air conditioned touring coach
- 9 nights authentic, specially selected hotel accommodation
- Hotel porterage (1 suitcase pp)
- Welcome drink in Frankfurt
- 18 Meals – Buffet breakfast daily (B), 1 lunch (L) and 8 evening dinners (D)
- A complimentary wine, beer or soft drink with all included dinners
- Tea and coffee with all included dinners
- Local guides as described
- Free WiFi on most coaches and at hotels
- End of tour tips to Tour Manager and Driver, tips for local guides
- Albatross Tours travel App
Hotel Prinz, Rothenburg – 2 Nights
Parkhotel Sonnenhof, Oberammergau – 6 NightsThis award winning, family run hotel is built in the wooden Alpine style and is located within an easy walking distance of both the centre of town and the mountain lifts. Classed as a superior 3 star hotel, you will be delighted by the wooden panelling, décor and furnishings, restaurant, welcoming bar and spacious bedrooms. The service and food is excellent.
We had an Excellent tour manager. The small towns and villages were awesome. Christmas markets everywhere, really gave a feeling of Christmas.
Tree decorations, sweets and treats, glue wine all added to the atmosphere. On Christmas Day snow started falling after our lunch in the beautiful, small town of Oberammergau. Christmas night mass there was also memorable. The acoustics were unbelievable and the whole ceremony brought a tear to my eye. Every day we went to amazing places, saw great sites. Couldn't wait for the next day.
Truly loved my Bavarian Christmas Tour and can thoroughly recommend it. Would go again in a heart beat.
I rate this Tour 11 out of 10.
Everything was fantastic. The best part was when it snowed (fabulous)! Magical fairytale could not have asked for anything more.
Sandra, travelled December 2014
This has been the first experience with Albatross Tours, having travelled with other major tour companies on numerous occasions we must say Albatross excel in all aspects of group travel.
The standout features of Albatross Tours are no added extra "excursions" costs, multiple night stays, and no early starts and late finishes. Overall this has been a relaxing holiday with no hidden costs unlike other tour companies where everything is an is a added extra.
Keep up the good work Albatross you have a winning formula and balance. We will certainly make Albatross a priority for all future travel.
Mervyn, travelled December 2014
I enjoyed this tour very much considering I am not able to move quickly - I could operate at my level and make choices which made it very comfortable; I did not feel any pressures from my tour manager nor my fellow travellers. For that I am most grateful.
Many thanks for a great time
Wendy, travelled December 2014
Dates and Prices
Book with Confidence
If you book and deposit on any of our tours, as long as there are just 10 or more people travelling on your designated group departure, we guarantee it will travel.
Have you travelled with Albatross Tours previously? Save $200 on our European Summer and Oberammergau tours (over 8 days) or $100 on our Festive tours.
No Additional 'On Tour' Costs
Over $100 value of extras per day are already included. There are no additional 'on tour' costs - even your end of tour tips are included!