Austrian Lakes Christmas Holiday
8 days only $3,489 pp twin share
- Leisurely 7 nights in the Austrian Lakes District
- Stay in an authentic, character style hotel
- Genuinely inclusive, no additional on tour costs
- The festive tour experts
- Designed for Australians & New Zealanders
- Guaranteed group departures
- Celebrate Christmas over 7 nights with all breakfasts and dinners included, in the delightful first class White Horse Inn beside Lake Wolfgangsee
- Experience a traditional Christmas Eve Celebration dinner and Christmas Day Turkey lunch
- Visit Prien, and cruise across Lake Chiemsee to enjoy a guided tour through Ludwig’s Royal Palace of Herrenchiemsee.
- Explore beautiful Hallstatt and St Gilgen
- Visit the famous ‘Silent Night’ Chapel and picturesque Königssee town
- Visit the Christmas markets of Salzburg and enjoy a hot drink and biscuits in Austria’s oldest restaurant
- Take a cruise across Wolfgangsee to visit Strobl and ride on the Zwölferhorn Mountain cable car in St Gilgen
- Dress up and take a trip down the Berchtesgaden Salt Mines, and relax on a horse-drawn carriage ride on Christmas Day
Day 1: 21 December - Munich to St. Wolfgang
Your tour commences this morning at 9.00 am from the Maritim Hotel in Munich. After meeting your Tour Manager, who will be with you for the next eight days, we drive south to the town of Prien on Lake Chiemsee. Here we board a boat to cross over to the island of Herreninsel where we enjoy a guided tour through ‘Mad’ King Ludwig’s Royal Palace of Herrenchiemsee, which was modelled on the Palace of Versailles. Entering Austria we continue to St. Wolfgang and our hotel which will be your home over the next seven nights. This town gave its name to the extraordinarily picturesque Lake Wolfgangsee which is set with a splendid backdrop of snow covered mountains and peaks. Before dinner, enjoy mulled wine or hot chocolate and cookies and take the opportunity to get to meet your fellow Christmas travellers. Throughout your stay we have included daily hot and cold buffet breakfast and, 4 course dinners with a choice of menu. Highlight of your stay will be a traditional Christmas Eve Celebration dinner and a Christmas Day Turkey lunch.
Day 2: 22 December - St. Wolfgang
We have included a full day excursion today. Enroute to Salzburg our first stop is at the nearby village of Oberndorf where we visit the famous ‘Silent Night Chapel’ on the site where the Christmas carol was first performed. We then continue onto Salzburg – the baroque city of Mozart sitting beneath its enormous Festung (Fortress). A walking tour with an expert local guide will introduce you to this enchanting city, including several locations used in the film ‘The Sound of Music’. As a finale you will assemble amongst the fir trees in the small stone courtyard of the St Peter’s Keller, dating back to the 1500’s and Salzburg’s oldest restaurant, for a hot drink and biscuits. The rest of the day is yours to enjoy the city. Maybe take time to visit the huge castle which is fascinating, and to soak up the atmosphere of the famous Salzburg Christmas markets.
Day 3: 23 December - St. Wolfgang
Heading deep into the Bavarian mountains we enjoy a fun filled ride which takes us deep into the old Salt Mines near Berchtesgaden. After dressing up in a salt miner’s uniform, we ride on a small train deep underground, take wooden slides (or steps) and then float on a barge across a crystal clear underground lake, beautifully illuminated by a light show. Lunchtime will be enjoyed in Berchtesgaden, then later we visit what is perhaps the most beautiful Alpine lake of all, Königssee – famous the world over for its steep cliffs and fjord like lake.
Day 4: 24 December - St. Wolfgang
There is nothing quite like a day in the mountains! Driving deep into the lakes district we visit Hallstatt. Set on a rocky terrace jutting into the quiet dark water of the lake surrounded by towering peaks, this is considered the oldest inhabited village in Europe and perhaps the most beautiful in Austria. Tonight, enjoy a festive traditional Christmas Eve Celebration dinner.
Day 5: 25 December - St. Wolfgang
Christmas Day as it should be….in a wonderful location – at leisure, relaxing and enjoying the delights of your hotel. A turkey lunch has also been included, and the highlight of today will be your ride in a horse-drawn carriage through the stunning local countryside.
Day 6: 26 December - St. Wolfgang
Day 7: 27 December - St. Wolfgang
This morning we enjoy a visit to Mondsee. Make sure you visit the church made famous in the wedding scene of the film ‘The Sound of Music’. Afterwards we visit the village of St Gilgen on the northern end of Lake Wolfgangsee, and take a cable car to the top of the Zwölferhorn Mountain to enjoy the sweeping views down over Lake Wolfgangsee and across the mountains. Tonight at the White Horse Inn we will enjoy a farewell dinner, to bring this amazing week to a close.
Day 8: 28 December - To Munich
This morning it is time to say farewell as your tour ends with a transfer to Munich, to arrive around midday. We recommend that you book flights or trains that depart Munich after 3pm today. For those of you joining one of our wonderful New Year Tours that begin in Luzern or Milan, the good news is, we have arranged complimentary Group transfers.
Incredible Value Inclusions
- Fully escorted by our experienced Tour Manager
- Travel in a first class air conditioned touring coach
- 7 nights authentic, specially selected hotel accommodation
- Hotel porterage (1 suitcase pp)
- Welcome drink in Lake Wolfgangsee
- 15 Meals – Buffet breakfast daily (B), 1 lunch (L) and 7 evening dinners (D)
- A complimentary wine, beer or soft drink with all included dinners
- Tea and coffee with all included dinners
- All excursions, scenic drives, sightseeing and entrances as described
- Local guides as described
- Free WiFi on most coaches and at hotels
- End of tour tips to Tour Manager and Driver, tips for local guides
- Albatross Tours travel App
The White Horse Inn, St Wolfgang – 7 Nights
This excellent, chalet style 4 star hotel is located directly on Lake Wolfgangsee, in the heart of St Wolfgang. With a history spanning centuries and having even been mentioned by name in classic opera, it consists of nine historic townhouses, merged into one, and nestled along the lake shore. The atmosphere is charming with traditional Austrian wooden décor, and the dining is excellent! This delightful first class hotel also offers an excellent wellness centre complete with a gym, steam room and sauna with stunning views across the lake to the snow clad mountains. To cap it all, there is an all year round heated pool and spa – both of which are floating on the lake!
Dates and Prices
Book with Confidence
If you book and deposit on any of our tours, as long as there are just 10 or more people travelling on your designated group departure, we guarantee it will travel.
Have you travelled with Albatross Tours previously? Save $200 on our European Summer tours or $100 on our Christmas and ANZAC tours.
No Additional 'On Tour' Costs
Over $100 value of extras per day are already included. There are no additional 'on tour' costs - even your end of tour tips are included!