New Year in Bavaria Tour
7 days only $2,849 pp twin share
- Enjoy 3 nights in Bavaria for New Years
- Stay in authentic, character style hotels
- Genuinely inclusive, no additional on tour costs
- The festive tour experts
- Designed for Australians & New Zealanders
- Guaranteed group departures
Imagine… celebrating New Year’s Eve in Bavaria, with a Gala Dinner, fireworks exploding above the ‘Fairytale’ castles, enjoy a horse and buggy ride through the woods to Neuschwanstein castle and a torchlight walk through medieval Rothenburg. Visit a ‘Passion Play’ village, a church in the Meadows and a snow covered abbey… plus so much more.
- Celebrate New Year over 3 nights in the tiny Bavarian village of Hohenschwangau nestled beneath Ludwig's 'Fairytale Castle’
- Following a special New Year’s Eve celebration dinner enjoy a memorable fireworks show beside your hotel with a backdrop of Ludwig's castles
- Hop on a horse and buggy, and ride up through the woods to take a guided tour of Neuschwanstein Castle
- Visit the beautifully decorated Weiskirche (the Church in the Meadows) and Kloster Ettal
- Explore picturesque Füssen, medieval Lindau on Lake Constance and see Ulm Cathedral – with the tallest steeple in the world
- Stay 2 nights in the cobble stoned streets of Rothenburg barely 100 metres from the romantic town square and enjoy a Nightwatchman walking tour
- Visit medieval Nurnberg with its Nazi rally grounds, massive stone towers and gates.
Day 1: 28 December - Luzern
Your tour commences this evening in Luzern. Dinner tonight is included, but first we enjoy a welcome drink. This is an ideal opportunity to meet and get to know your fellow travellers.
Day 2: 29 December - Hohenschwangau, Bavarian Alps
Crossing Switzerland we enter Germany and make a stop in Lindau on Lake Bodensee (Constance). This beautifully preserved island town is complete with medieval lighthouses and cobble stoned streets. Later this afternoon we continue to the tiny village of Hohenschwangau where we stay for the next three nights. What a setting! On one hill overlooking the village you have the neo-Gothic Castle of Hohenschwangau and on the other side above the village is a wooded mountain spur and Neuschwanstein – the Fairytale Castle of ‘Mad’ King Ludwig. To complete the picture there’s a beautiful lake not far from the hotel doorstep.
Day 3: 30 December - Hohenschwangau, Bavarian Alps
Boarding your horse and carriage you will ride up through the wooded road to visit one of the most inspiring and famous castles in the world – Neuschwanstein Castle. On arrival you will enjoy a guided tour inside the King’s apartments, staterooms, halls and throne room, all reminiscent of a Wagner operatic saga.
Around midday we take you to the nearby town of Füssen to enjoy lunch at leisure. Stretches of the original Roman defensive walls are still in place, and the town’s historic character is particularly evident along the cobbled Reichenstrasse. High above, the old castle of the Prince-Bishops of Augsburg dominates the town. In the afternoon we will also visit the neo-Gothic Hohenschwangau Castle. Rich in history, you will find the interior typical of the Castles of the Knights of the Middle Ages, with its ‘Hall of Heroes’, paintings and suits of armour.
Day 4: 31 December - Hohenschwangau, Bavarian Alps
A wonderful day in the mountains! Our first stop this morning is at the richly decorated Wieskirche (Church in the Meadows) with its incredible painted ceilings. Later we stop at the ‘Passion Play’ village of Oberammergau with its ornately painted houses. Once every ten years this village stages a world famous Passion Play and we have included a guided tour through the Passion Play Theatre. Next stop is at Kloster Ettal. This monastery in a lovely shaded valley dates back over 700 years and is one of the finest examples of Rococo architecture in existence. Returning to our hotel mid afternoon we get ready for our special New Year’s Eve Celebration dinner.
Day 5: 1 January - Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber
Happy New Year! Sleep in and relax. Breakfast is at leisure. Mid morning we depart for Rothenburg via Ulm where you will have time for lunch and to visit the cathedral with the tallest steeple in the world.
We then continue up part of the Romantische Strasse (Romantic Road) to picture perfect Rothenburg – the finest medieval city in all Europe – with its delightful cobbled stone streets, ramparts and turrets, where we stay two nights. Later, after dinner, we have included a special treat – a torchlight tour with the Nightwatchman through the beautifully preserved ramparts and winding streets.
Day 6: 2 January - Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber
We have included a morning excursion to medieval Nürnberg with its massive stone towers and gates. Once the setting for enormous Nazi rallies and the War Crimes trials, we visit the massive rally grounds before taking a walk through the old city with its extensive pedestrian walkways. Returning to Rothenburg mid-afternoon you will have ample time to relax and go shopping. Make a point of walking through the world famous ‘Christmas Shop’ nearby which is known for its stunning displays. Huge Christmas Trees, detailed festive scenes and even a Christmas Pyramid – the height of a two storey house. A walk around the intact city walls and ramparts is a must. Tonight, a farewell dinner is included in your hotel.
Day 7: 3 January - To Frankfurt
Your New Year tour ends today with a transfer to Frankfurt, where we arrive around midday. We will be making stops at both the airport and the central train station. We recommend that you book flights or trains that depart Frankfurt after 2pm today.
Incredible Value Inclusions
- Fully escorted by our experienced Tour Manager
- Travel in a first class air conditioned touring coach
- 6 nights authentic, specially selected hotel accommodation
- Hotel porterage (1 suitcase pp)
- Welcome drink in Luzern
- 12 Meals – Buffet breakfast daily (B) and 6 evening dinners (D)
- A complimentary wine, beer or soft drink with all included dinners
- Tea and coffee with all included dinners
- All excursions, scenic drives, sightseeing and entrances as described
- Local guides as described
- Free WiFi on most coaches and at hotels
- End of tour tips to Tour Manager and Driver, tips for local guides
- Albatross Tours travel App
Hotel Muller, Bavaria - 3 nights
Your family run hotel is in the most enchanting of settings. Old-style wood panelling, octagonal restaurant and Wintergarden both with castle views, veranda with open fireplace and views of Castle Hohenschwangau, Coachman’s Room, cocktail lounge – the list goes on. Most rooms have views of one of the two castles and all have private facilities, telephone, TV.
Tilman Riemenschneider, Rothenburg - 2 nights
This splendid old, half timbered hotel is superbly located inside the medieval walls barely 50 paces from the central market square. The hotel offers restaurants traditionally decorated with original paintings and wooden carvings and rooms with individually painted alpine- inspired furniture, private facilities, cable TV and hair dryers.
Dates and Prices
Book with Confidence
If you book and deposit on any of our tours, as long as there are just 10 or more people travelling on your designated group departure, we guarantee it will travel.
Have you travelled with Albatross Tours previously? Save $200 on our European Summer tours or $100 on our Christmas and ANZAC tours.
No Additional 'On Tour' Costs
Over $100 value of extras per day are already included. There are no additional 'on tour' costs - even your end of tour tips are included!