Normandy, Brittany & the Loire Valley Tour
11 days from $5,889 pp twin share
- Leisurely 2, 3 and 4 night stays
- Small group size with a maximum of 28 travellers
- Genuinely inclusive, no additional on tour costs
- Character hotels in superb locations
- Designed for Australians & New Zealanders
- Guaranteed group departures
Sleep in a picturesque chateau in the Loire Valley, walk amongst the flowers of Monet’s Gardens and Chateau Villandry and dine on exquisite seafood in the ‘pirate town’ of St Malo. Stand on the Normandy beaches, visit magnificent Mont-Saint-Michel and sip Benedictine in a Palace! C’est magnifique…
- Relax over 3 nights on the verdant Normandy Coast in the classic seaside resort of Cabourg, see the historic Bayeux tapestry and visit the fascinating ’D’Day Landing Beaches and museum
- Wander through Monet’s glorious gardens, Rouen where Joan of Arc was burned, visit Fécamp to sip Benedictine where it was invented and relax in ‘painting by numbers’ Honfleur
- Stay 2 nights in the ‘pirate town’ of St Malo, explore magnificent Mont-Saint-Michel, the oyster capital of Cancale, medieval Dinan and the chic 18th century resort town of Dinard
- Sleep 4 nights in an enchanting Chateau nestled in the spectacular Loire Valley, visit the famous city of Tours and relax in the pretty village of Langeais
- Visit the ornate gardens of Chateau Villandry, historic Fontevraud Abbey and romantic Chateau Chenonceau. Explore Chinon and Amboise to visit Da Vinci’s Chateau du Clos Lucé
- Visit the Atlantic port of La Rochelle, and sip Remy Martin in Cognac
- Enjoy a farewell dinner in the first class Hotel Burdigala in Bordeaux
Day 1: Paris to Cabourg in Normandy
Day 2: Cabourg in Normandy
We will spend a fascinating morning driving through the lush Normandy countryside, dotted with small, pretty villages, ancient farms and apple orchards, to explore the famous WWII Normandy landing beaches. At Arromanches-les-Bains we will visit the fascinating Landing Beaches Museum. From here, looking out over the English Channel you will clearly see the remains of Mulberry ‘B’ Harbour, often referred to as the ‘key to Normandy’. This afternoon we stop in the historic town of Bayeux, which sits on the River Aure, and enjoy a visit to see the magnificent Bayeux Tapestry, depicting William the Conqueror’s invasion of Britain in 1066.
Day 3: Cabourg in Normandy
After time at leisure to explore Cabourg, we head east to explore the pretty harbour town of Honfleur which is located on the estuary where the River Seine meets the English Channel. Lined with 16th, 17th and 18th century houses the old harbour is filled with colourful fishing boats. It is no wonder it was one of the classic ‘painting by numbers’ settings. Make sure you wander around the cobbled stone streets to find the perfect bistro for lunch. In the afternoon we will visit the Palais la Benedictine in Fécamp. 500 years ago a Benedictine alchemist discovered a secret elixir that we now know as Benedictine liqueur. Built by Alexandre le Grand who made a fortune with this brew, the opulent interior of the imposing gothic/renaissance style palace is rich in art, sculptures and a wonderful old library. Following a guided tour we will enjoy a tasting of this ancient elixir.
Day 4: St Malo in Brittany
Day 5: St Malo in Brittany
This morning we will visit the attractive and beautifully preserved village of Dinan. The whole upper town is filled with historic, half-timbered houses which date back up to 600 years. Down near the old port you find stone houses and bridges, and cobbled stone streets lined with craft and artisan shops. The town still has kilometres of ancient ramparts and a massive viaduct built by Gustav Eiffel. Next we enjoy lunchtime in the classic sea side resort of Dinard, with its sea front that is lined with 19th century villas and townhouses. Time to shop and enjoy lunch in the old town centre. Later we catch the ferry across to the old port of St Malo. Arriving by boat we can get the very best view of this fully walled and fortified town. Originally an island stronghold, the town grew on the wealth bought in between the 16th and 18th centuries by the ‘authorized’ pirates and freebooters. The rest of your day is at leisure to explore the cobbled streets, alleys filled with shops and cafés. Perhaps enjoy the 2 km walk along the ramparts that completely encircle the old town.
Day 6: The Loire Valley
Day 7: The Loire Valley
Day 8: The Loire Valley
Day 9: The Loire Valley
Our first stop of the day will be to visit the Royal Abbey of Fontevraud. Built nearly 1000 years ago, this is the largest Abbey in Western Europe. The Romanesque abbey church with its royal tombs and the renaissance cloister, have all been beautifully restored and the complex is now a museum and cultural centre. Lunchtime will be spent exploring Chinon, with its massive castle looming over the narrow cobbled streets of this riverside town. Time permitting in the afternoon we will detour from our route to pass through Usee, to make a photo stop at the 16th century château overlooking the Loire and Indre River Valley. Accredited as the castle in Charles Perrault’s story ‘Sleeping Beauty’ it is also sometimes called the ‘Castle of Dreams’. We then visit the gardens of Château Villandry which got its inspiration from the classic gardens of the 16th and 18th century. Different levels of the gardens include ponds, topiary, ornamental hedges and an extraordinary kitchen garden covering 12,500 square metres. Dinner tonight is included at your Château.
Day 10: Bordeaux
Day 11: Bordeaux
Your tour ends today after breakfast.
Incredible Value Inclusions
- Fully escorted by our experienced Tour Manager
- Travel in a first class air-conditioned touring coach
- 10 nights specially selected hotel accommodation
- Hotel porterage (1 bag per person)
- Breakfast daily
- 5 dinners including welcome and farewell dinners
- Welcome drink in Paris
- All excursions, scenic drives, sightseeing and entrances as described
- Local guide for visit and tasting at Palais la Benedictine in Fécamp
- Personal audio system whilst on tour
- Albatross travel app
- Free WiFi available on most coaches and at hotels
- End of tour tips to Tour Manager and Driver, tips for local guide
Hotel Les Bains, Cabourg in Normandy - 3 nights
Grand Hotel Courtoisville, St. Malo - 2 nights
Set in its own gardens only 50 metres from the sea, this first class, elegant spa hotel has been attracting visitors for over 100 years. Set in a grand, stone, villa style building the hotel boasts an indoor pool and excellent spa facilities.
Château De Rochecotte, The Loire Valley - 4 nights
Surrounded by 20 acres of parks and gardens this 4-star hotel is set within an 18th century château in the Loire Valley. Exuding french luxury and style encapsulating the extravagance of a bygone era, the Château de Rochecotte features elegant rooms and an outdoor swimming pool.
Hotel Burdigala, Bordeaux - 1 night
Dates and Prices
Book with Confidence
If you book and deposit on any of our tours, as long as there are just 10 or more people travelling on your designated group departure, we guarantee it will travel.
Have you travelled with Albatross Tours previously? Save $200 on our European Summer tours or $100 on our Christmas and ANZAC tours.
No Additional 'On Tour' Costs
Over $100 value of extras per day are already included. There are no additional 'on tour' costs - even your end of tour tips are included!