Christmas in the Slovenian Alps Tour
11 days only $4,089 pp twin share
- Leisurely 2 and 4 night stays
- Stay in authentic, character style hotels
- Genuinely inclusive, no additional on tour costs
- The festive tour experts
- Designed for Australians & New Zealanders
- Guaranteed group departures
- Celebrate Christmas over 4 nights on the shores of magnificent Lake Bled in Slovenia
- Savour the fabulous Christmas Markets in Munich, Innsbruck, Bolzano and Ljubljana
- Enjoy a Christmas Eve dinner with music, Christmas Day Turkey lunch, a Boxing Day Brass Band Concert and the local ceremony of the ‘Sinking of the Bells of Wishes’
- Visit Neuschwanstein Castle, the extraordinary Wieskirche and the ‘Passion Play’ village of Oberammergau
- Stay 2 nights in medieval Innsbruck and visit Swarovski Crystal Worlds
- Stay 2 nights in a glorious Italian Castle and visit the canals and hump backed bridges of Venice
- In Bolzano, see Otzi - the mummified mountain man
- Visit Villach, the old city of Ljubljana and beautiful Lake Bohinj on the way to the snow fields of Kranjska Gora in the Julian Alps
- Visit Mozart’s Salzburg before enjoying a farewell meal in Munich
Day 1: 18 December - Munich
Day 2: 19 December - Innsbruck
Day 3: 20 December - Innsbruck
Day 4: 21 December - CastelBrando
Crossing over the Brenner Pass we stop mid morning in the charming town of Bolzano. You will have time to enjoy the delightful Town Hall square and shop along the covered arcades and arches of Via dei Portici. We have included a visit to the Museum of Archaeology where you can see the mummified remains of Ötzi – the famous Ice Man – along with a fascinating exhibition documenting the Ancient History of Italy’s South Tyrol. This afternoon we follow the Sugano Valley from Trento through the Italian Alps to the superb CastelBrando in the foothills of the Dolomites. On arrival we have included a guided tour of the castle – there is a lot to see – and this will be your home for the next two evocative nights. Located above the medieval village of Cison di Valmarino this 2,000 year old Roman fortress was turned into a sumptuous Noble’s palace in the 13th century. Meals:
Day 5: 22 December - CastelBrando
Today we visit nearby Venice – arguably one of the most romantic cities in the world. At Tronchetto we board a boat to take us to St Marc’s Square where we join our expert local guide for a walking tour. The rest of the day is yours to shop and explore the myriad of narrow, water lined streets and canals spanned by humped back bridges. Dinner this evening is back in ‘our’ Castle.
Day 6: 23 December - Glorious Lake Bled
Day 7: 24 December - Glorious Lake Bled
This morning we join our local guide and visit Slovenia’s capital, Ljubljana, which means ‘beloved’ in Slovene. Retaining the charm and warmth of a small town, it is literally filled to capacity with baroque churches, palaces, museums and quaint bridges traversing the canals and rivers. Pedestrian areas in the historic Old Town overflow with cafe tables and street entertainers. This evening enjoy a special dinner with Zither Music. Those wishing to make their own way to attend midnight mass will enjoy pastries and a hot drink on their return.
Day 8: 25 December - Glorious Lake Bled
Spend Christmas relaxing on the shores of Lake Bled and enjoying the magnificent scenery and excellent hotel facilities. A traditional Christmas Turkey lunch will be enjoyed by all. In the evening we gather on the lakeside to witness the local ceremony of the ‘Sinking of the Bells of Wishes’. Tonight enjoy a live band playing in a nearby local hotel. What a way to spend Christmas!
Day 9: 26 December - Glorious Lake Bled
There is nothing quite like a day playing in the mountains! Joined by our local guide we drive through the Bohinj Valley which stretches through the Triglav National Park to visit the beautiful Lake Bohinj. We then continue our drive north to the breathtaking Zgornjesavska Valley and reach the resort town of Kranjska Gora, famous for the Ski World Cup competitions and Ski ‘flights’ on the giant ski-jump in Planica. Maybe take a chair lift to the top of the mountains for views that go on forever. Alternatively explore this vibrant ski resort packed with shops and restaurants. This evening we’ve included tickets to Bled’s annual Boxing Day Brass Band concert.
Day 10: 27 December - Munich
Day 11: 28 December - Munich
Your Christmas tour is now complete, and it is time to say farewell. For those of you joining one of our wonderful New Year Tours that begin in Luzern or Milan, the good news is, we have arranged complimentary Group transfers.
Incredible Value Inclusions
- Fully escorted by our experienced Tour Manager
- Travel in a first class air conditioned touring coach
- 10 nights authentic, specially selected hotel accommodation
- Upgrade to Lake View rooms at Golf Hotel in Lake Bled
- Hotel porterage (1 suitcase pp)
- Welcome drink in Munich
- 20 Meals – Buffet breakfast daily (B), 1 lunch (L) and 9 evening dinners (D)
- A complimentary wine, beer or soft drink with all included dinners
- Tea and coffee with all included dinners
- All excursions, scenic drives, sightseeing and entrances as described, including tickets to the Boxing Day Brass Band Concert
- Local guides as described
- Free WiFi at most hotels
- End of tour tips to Tour Manager and Driver, tips for local guides
- Albatross Tours travel App
Grauer Baer Hotel, Innsbruck - 2 NightsSuperbly located just 200 metres from the historic city centre, this hotel has 196 rooms with private facilities. The hotel boasts style and tradition and features a restaurant, bar, sauna, steam-bath, solarium and a gym.
CastelBrando, Cison Di Valmarino - 2 Nights
A beautifully restored castle with sensitive modernisation has brought the original magnificence back to life. Guelph style decorative battlements, stone cellars, tapestries, swords and suits of armour set the scene for the elegant halls, dining rooms, manicured gardens and terraces overlooking the valley.
The Golf Hotel, Lake Bled - 4 NightsThis 4 star hotel is in the heart of Bled, with a surrounding of majestic ancient trees and full views across the lake, the island, the castle and the towering peaks of the Julian and Karavanke Alps. This hotel has been completely renovated with the addition of a modern wellness centre. We have upgraded all our travellers rooms to have lake views.
We were impressed with the tour, accommodation was great, the meals were good and enjoyed the complimentary wine. Appreciated all the inclusions.
A great tour full of a variety of sights and things to do. Congratulations Albatross! This has been our fourth holiday with you and it keeps getting better.
Maree, travelled December 2014
Sibila was by far the best tour guide we have ever had and Rick the best driver. We absolutely loved this trip.
Frank & Judith
I loved our tour leader Sibila, she was full of interesting information, extensive knowledge of EVERYTHING and was consistently delightful! I really enjoyed my time in Italy and Slovenia. The snowy visit to Neuschwanstein Castle was also amazing. Overall a great tour.
A wonderful tour which catered for all 'White Christmas' expectations. Sibila was an excellent tour manager - exceeding her role. She is very kind and patient, and her local knowledge was very good. The way in which she shared it was interesting and informative. The sinking of the bells was the highlight for me but I thoroughly enjoyed it all. Rick was an excellent driver and was very friendly.
Dates and Prices
Book with Confidence
If you book and deposit on any of our tours, as long as there are just 10 or more people travelling on your designated group departure, we guarantee it will travel.
Have you travelled with Albatross Tours previously? Save $200 on our European Summer tours or $100 on our Christmas and ANZAC tours.
No Additional 'On Tour' Costs
Over $100 value of extras per day are already included. There are no additional 'on tour' costs - even your end of tour tips are included!