Explore ancient villages, towns & glorious Sicily!
Visit beautiful Ortigia Island, the historical heart of ancient Syracuse.
Embark on a captivating exploration of the time-honored villages and towns nestled in Puglia and Matera, before venturing towards the magnificent island of Sicily. Sleep in the ancient sassi of Matera and the delightful Trulli cottages of Alberobello. Stand on the highest active volcano in Europe, feast in mafia country and cruise to San Vito Lo Capo… ‘va bene’!
Travel in a first-class air-conditioned touring coach
28 meals including breakfast daily (B), 2 typically ‘Italian style’ lunches in ‘Godfather Country’ and Vittorio’s at Porto Palo, light lunch & olive oil tasting at Mandranova Olive Oil farm (L), plus 9 evening meals (D) Welcome drink in Rome, wine tastings in Alberobello and in a Sicilian Baglio
Hotel porterage of 1 bag per person (where available) 16 nights specially selected hotel accommodation Free WiFi at hotels (where available)
Personal audio system whilst on tour (where available) ALL tips to your Tour Manager, Driver and Local Guides Fully escorted by our experienced Tour Manager Local guides as described in the itinerary
Hand Selected Albatross Experiences including cable car and 4WD bus to Mount Etna, cruise through the Zingaro marine reserve to San Vito Lo Capo and Baglio wine tasting ALL excursions, scenic drives, sightseeing and entrances as described
If you haven't found what you are looking for then use our Tour Finder to search for another tour.
Hand Selected Experiences
Stay 3 nights in the ‘Bee Hive’ Trulli cottages of Alberobello
* The itinerary and hotels featured are based on 2024 tour departures and may be subject to change. For 2023 tour departures, please refer to your pre-departure documentation. Any questions, please contact our European Tour Specialists for further details.
Extend your holiday by adding another amazing tour.
Pick your preferred tour departure and see all of the amazing tour experiences that may connect before or after your selected departure date. Our full range of tours maybe viewed in our Tour Finder or choose another date above.
- In mid-summer, the heat may be energy sapping.
- In Alberobello and Matera or unique style of accommodation is incredible. In Alberobello we stay in Trulli which are scattered, self-contained ‘beehive’ houses. Whilst spread around a relatively small area of town, you will need to make your own way to and from the coach meeting points and breakfast centre.
- In Matera our Sassi or ‘Caves’ are the genuinely authentic. They are all quite easily accessible, in a small area close to the office, but accessed via stone steps and uneven ground. Porterage is not available.
- Matera is set on a hill and access to the upper levels is by foot up winding, stone streets.
- Mount Etna is exactly that - a mountain! The first part of this excursion is easy. Coach to the first level, close to smaller extinct craters. The next section is also relatively easy being small bubble cable cars up to the restaurant and museum. The altitude here is 2,500 metres so should not be a problem to anyone. The last section can be a little more difficult as you are travelling by 4WD up to 2,900 metres. From here we enjoy a walk around a (quiet!) volcanic crater which takes us up over a ridge. It is not that it is far, it is that you are suddenly at moderate altitude (which is why the views are amazing!) and your breath comes with more effort. The gravelly dust has less immediate grip but is not slippery. You can choose to stay and enjoy the views from the 4WD drop off point or join the 500 metre guided walk. The guide makes a number of stops, each about a hundred metres apart. There is plenty of time, and it is not a race. From experience, with patience and taking it easy, anyone with moderate fitness can do it if they pace themselves. The experience at the top is exhilarating but, above all, you will have the choice as to how far up you want to go.
- Please ensure you have the correct footwear - comfortable enclosed walking shoes are required for your visits in Matera and up Mount Etna.
Please refer to our Tour Suitability section for more information.
You might be interested in these similar tours
Stay 3 nights in Spain’s culinary capital of San Sebastián.
Experience a wine and oyster boat ride & visit Krka’s dramatic waterfalls.
Explore the dramatic Calanques on a coastal cruise along the Côte d’Azur.