New Year with the Sound of Music Tour
7 days only $3,289 pp twin share
- Celebrate the New Year in style
- Stay in an authentic, character style hotel
- Genuinely inclusive, no additional on tour costs
- The festive tour experts
- Designed for Australians & New Zealanders
- Guaranteed group departures
Come join us in our wonderful palace, to experience a New Year like no other. Take a horse and carriage ride through the countryside, enjoy the thrill of the historic Berchtesgaden Salt Mines and cruise on Lake Konigssee. To top it all off enjoy a special New Year’s Gala dinner in the grand Marble Hall of Schloss Leopoldskron, followed by a night of music, dancing and fireworks.
- Stay 5 nights in the historic Meierhof – part of the palace complex of the wonderful ‘The Sound of Music’ Schloss, and experience a New Year’s Eve Gala event in its spectacular rococo Marble Hall
- Relax in the ornate staterooms, halls and library of the famous palace, watch ‘the film’ on location where it all really happened, and enjoy a New Year’s Day concert in the palace’s Great Hall
- Explore picturesque Salzburg, and enjoy dinner in the 1200 year old St Peter Stiftskeller
- Experience a nostalgic carriage ride through a winter wonderland from the ski resort of Filzmoos to the Oberhofalm mountain hut, surrounded by spectacular scenery
- Spend a day in the majestic Salzkammergut - the Austrian Lakes District, visiting St Wolfgang, St Gilgen, ‘The Sound of Music’ Church in Mondsee, and take a cable car ride up the Zwölferhorn Mountain
- Explore famous Berchtesgaden, enjoy a scenic cruise along dramatic Lake Königssee and experience the historical Salt Mines adventure
Day 1: 28 December - Munich
Your tour commences this evening in cosmopolitan Munich. Tonight we enjoy a welcome drink and dinner. This is an ideal opportunity to meet and get to know your fellow travellers.
Day 2: 29 December - Schloss Leopoldskron, Salzburg
Crossing into Austria mid-morning we reach Salzburg – the baroque city of Mozart sitting beneath its enormous Festung (Fortress). A walking tour with an expert local guide will introduce you to this enchanting city, including several locations used in the film ‘The Sound of Music’. Afterwards enjoy time at leisure in the old town centre. Mozart’s Birthplace makes a fascinating visit, as does the ancient castle. Later we drive through the ornate iron gates and enter the grounds of the spectacular Schloss Leopoldskron, where we will stay for the next five nights. On arrival we will enjoy an orientation tour of this grand historical building, including the superb Chinese and Venetian rooms and the Marble Hall. We will discover the hidden staircase in the ornate, old-world library. Built in 1736, this rococo palace was lovingly restored to its current glory in the early 1900’s by its then owner, the famous theatre and film director Max Reinhardt.
Nestled by a small, idyllic lake with a majestic view of the Untersberg Mountain, Leopoldskron is not only the birthplace of the Salzburg Festival, but is also one of the principal locations of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s 1965 film ‘The Sound of Music’. This evening at our Schloss, we sample local wines with an Austrian wine connoisseur whilst enjoying dinner in the magnificent Marble Hall.
Day 3: 30 December - Schloss Leopoldskron, Salzburg
Heading deep into the Bavarian mountains we visit the old Salt Mines near Berchtesgaden. After dressing up in a salt miner’s uniform, we enjoy a fun filled ride on a small train deep underground, take wooden slides (or steps) and then float on a barge across a crystal clear underground lake, beautifully illuminated by a light show. Lunchtime will be spent amongst the cobbled streets of Berchtesgaden. Later we visit perhaps the most beautiful lake of all, Königssee – famous the world over for its steep cliffs and fjord like lake. We have included a relaxing cruise along the length of the lake to visit the romantic pilgrimage church on St Bartholomew Island. This evening we will return to nearby Salzburg where we have arranged a special dinner in the St Peter Stiftskeller – Austria’s oldest restaurant which dates back 1200 years! Be enchanted as we step back in time to the late 18th century.
Day 4: 31 December - Schloss Leopoldskron, Salzburg
A New Year’s Eve to remember! Driving south, we stop at the ski resort of Filzmoos where we board a horse drawn carriage to enjoy a ride through this winter wonderland. Passing through the snowy woods, and surrounded by majestic mountains, we reach the remote Oberhofalm alpine hut which provides a perfect lunchtime stop. Later, we return to the schloss allowing plenty of time to prepare for your elegant New Year’s Eve Gala event! In this stunning location we enjoy dinner and entertainment in the Marble Hall followed by music and dancing. At midnight we will gather on the Palace terrace to welcome the arrival of the New Year, whilst watching the fireworks across the lake!!
Day 5: 1 January - Schloss Leopoldskron, Salzburg
New Year’s Day! Rest, relax and enjoy your amazing surroundings. The special New Year’s Day breakfast rolls into brunch, and then lunch! Maybe enjoy quiet time in the schloss library, perhaps stroll around the lake or, take a winter walk into nearby Salzburg town. This afternoon ‘The Sound of Music’ fans will be able to watch the famous film, here on the location where it all actually happened. Tonight after dinner, step back in time to the days of the salons of Max Reinhardt, as you are treated to an intimate concert experience in the Great Hall.
Day 6: 2 January - Schloss Leopoldskron, Salzburg
Today we visit the beautiful Salzkammergut – the Austrian Lakes District. Our morning stop will be at the village of St Gilgen on the northern end of Lake Wolfgangsee, to catch the cable car up to the top of the Zwölferhorn Mountain to enjoy the sweeping views down over Wolfgangsee and across the mountains. Afterwards we visit St. Wolfgang, the town which gave its name to the extraordinarily picturesque Lake Wolfgangsee. As a finale we will visit the town of Mondsee where you can visit the church made famous in the wedding scene of the film ‘The Sound of Music’. This evening, back at our schloss, we enjoy a farewell dinner to bring this amazing week to a close.
Day 7: 3 January - To Munich
Incredible Value Inclusions
- Fully escorted by our experienced Tour Manager
- Travel in a first class air conditioned touring coach
- 6 nights authentic, specially selected hotel accommodation
- Hotel porterage (1 suitcase pp)
- Welcome drink in Munich
- 12 Meals – Buffet breakfast daily (B) and 6 evening dinners (D)
- A complimentary wine, beer or soft drink with all included dinners
- Tea and coffee with all included dinners
- All excursions, scenic drives, sightseeing and entrances as described including Austrian wine evening, New Year’s Day concert in the Great Hall, carriage ride to the Oberhofalm alpine hut
- Local guides as described in the Itinerary
- Free WiFi at hotels
- End of tour tips to Tour Manager and Driver, tips for local guides
- Albatross Tours travel App
The Meierhof, Salburg - 5 NightsYour rooms are located in the Meierhof – the historic building set by the lakeside in the Palace grounds, about 50 metres from the Schloss itself. The Meierhof has a reception desk, small fitness centre as well as a café-bar. The rooms are comfortable and simply furnished. Whilst this is where you sleep all breakfasts, dinners, entertainment, public areas, library, lounges and activities are enjoyed in the beautiful rococo palace itself. An extraordinary experience!
We enjoyed the longer stays in accommodation, the very happy group we were lucky to have and our Tour Manager. What can I say, her warm and friendly nature, her knowledge and organising skill and if there was a minor glitch any where on the outing they were solved with little to no fuss. One incident that comes to mind, we were early one morning so on our way to the Salt Mine we called in to a distillery, our Tour Manager asked them if it was OK to come and it was excellent, we had time to do some tasting and buying.
Dates and Prices
Book with Confidence
If you book and deposit on any of our tours, as long as there are just 10 or more people travelling on your designated group departure, we guarantee it will travel.
Have you travelled with Albatross Tours previously? Save $200 on our European Summer tours or $100 on our Christmas and ANZAC tours.
No Additional 'On Tour' Costs
Over $100 value of extras per day are already included. There are no additional 'on tour' costs - even your end of tour tips are included!