Traveller Story: Northern Spain Delights
Graeme and his wife Susan travelled on our Northern Spain & the Pyrenees tour in September 2018. They really enjoyed the spectacular scenery, visits to charming towns, the superb food and wine they experienced along the way and the ample free time they had to explore at their own pace.
What tour did you travel on?
When did you travel?
Why did you select this particular tour?
Who did you travel with?
My wife, Susan
Have you travelled with us previously?
What was your favourite place/s on your Albatross tour?
What was the most amazing thing you saw or did on your Albatross tour?
- The Dali museum in Figueres - until you see where Dali started as an artist and his early work you cannot fully appreciate his unique genius. As he said, "... I don't take drugs, I am the drug!".
- Getting to top of the Col du Tormelet - it's amazing how those Tour de France cyclists make this incredible climb under pressure!
Tell us about your most memorable moment on tour?
- The amazing Spanish tapas/pintxos and red wine, available in so many quirky bars! Spanish food is truly so unique,and I know we were not the only members of the tour who bought tapas/pintxos recipe books!
- The cable car ride at Fuente De and the view from the top!
- Arriving at the top of the Pyrenees on Pic du Midi.
- LaGuardia - the 14th century Gothic stone portal in the Church of Santa Maria de Los Reyes with the perfectly preserved 17th century polychrome figures of the 12 Apostles and the superb sculpture of the Madonna. They closed the portico in the 16th Century to preserve the colours - the only portal in Europe to do so!
- The visit to Marques de Riscal bodegas - we love their Reserva!
What was your favourite meal on tour?
- Mirepoix: tapas lunch at 'Respaud Patrick' - superb! Nice French Rose too!
- Carcassone: tapas (raciones) in L'Escargot' restaurant
- La Somail: walked across the Canal du Midi and had a great 'plat du jour' at L'escale di Somail Resaurant plus a great French Rose from Languedoc!