Sardinia & Corsica, the Lands of Myths and Legends Tour
15 Fascinating Days
- Leisurely 2 & 3 night stays
- Small groups from just 10 to 28
- Genuinely inclusive, no additional on tour costs
- Character hotels in superb locations
- Designed for Australians & New Zealanders
- 'My Time' guaranteed
Two islands, so different, so intriguing. One Italian, one French, both fiercely independent. Visit 3,500 year old huge stone ‘Nuraghe’ Tower villages, cruise to the beautiful Neptune’s Caves, enjoy stunning cliff top coastal drives, take 4WDs deep into rugged ravines for a shepherd’s picnic lunch. Visit colourful Bosa, ‘bandit’ Orgosolo, Catalan Alghero, the staggering cliff top town of Bonifacio, Napoleon’s Ajaccio and...best of all…3 nights in remarkable Su Gologone.
**In 2021 this tour will be 15 days in duration with an additional night in Calvi.
- Explore the sights of Cagliari and take in the views from the Bastione di Saint Remy
- Stay 2 nights in the heart of the exotic ‘Catalan’ town of Alghero
- Visit Nuoro, and drive past fields and fields of Nuraghe ruined towers
- Cruise to the spectacular Neptune’s Caves
- Stay 3 nights enjoying the extraordinary Su Gologone ‘Sardinian Experience’
- Explore the 3,500 year old Su Nuraxi - mysterious Nuraghe rock towers
- Take a 4WD tour into the Supramonte Mountains and savour a shepherds picnic
- Explore the bustling resort town of Porto-Vecchio & enjoy ‘My Time’ in the extraordinary cliff hanging, citadel town of Bonifacio
- Stay 2 nights in Napoleon Bonaparte’s Ajaccio
- Relax amongst the 16th century streets of charming Sartène
- Visit the house where Napoleon lived
- Relax in L’ile Rouse and enjoy a tasting of local produce & wine in Calvi
It’s the smell, the feel, the taste
Day 1: Cagliari welcome
Day 2: National Archaeological Museum, Bastione views and ‘My Time’
Day 3: UNESCO listed Su Nuraxi and wine tasting in a local vineyard
Day 4: 4WD into the Supramonte Mountains for a Shepherds picnic & ‘My Time’
Day 5: Orgosolo – the ‘City of Murderers’
Day 6: Bosa, a cliff top drive and Alghero
Day 7: Neptune’s Caves, Alghero sunsets and ‘My Time’
Day 8: Castelsardo and Bonifacio
A leisurely start before we follow the northern coastline to picturesque Castelsardo, with its ancient castle and famed for its basket weaving industry. Lunchtime is at leisure to explore the narrow streets of the characterful medieval citadel brimming with colourful houses, shops selling local woven handicrafts and restaurants, many with stunning panoramic views. In the afternoon we cross the water to Corsica, France. As we approach Bonifacio the citadel and fortifications loom high, perched magnificently, overhanging the deep blue sea. Entering the harbour we are surrounded by enormous mega yachts and cruisers moored there. The entire harbour is one giant marina and lining the quays are dozens and dozens of bars, shops, restaurants and cafés. Dinner tonight is included in a local restaurant, a short stroll from our cliff top hotel.
Day 9: ‘My Time’ in Bonifacio
Day 10: Medieval Sartène, Propriano and a scenic drive
Day 11: Napoleon’s home and ‘My Time’
Day 12: Scenic train ride, Corte and local produce tasting in Calvi
Boarding a train we cut straight through the scenic mountains of Corsica’s rugged interior to arrive in the ancient capital of Corte. We have included entrance to Corte’s historical museum and ramparts. From there you will have access to the picturesque old fortification standing high on a rocky outcrop. It was here that the Pasquale Paoli, head of the Corsican resistance, declared their new republic in 1794, making Corte the capital. His statue is in the main square amongst the cafes and restaurants, and the buildings are still pockmarked with hundreds bullet holes! In town there are lovely laneways and alleys, cafes and shops. A delightful place to spend lunchtime. Continuing by coach we arrive in Calvi. Set on a crescent shaped bay, the pedestrian streets full of shops, boutiques and cafes run parallel to the marina and Quai Landry esplanade which is lined with restaurants. At the end on the rocky promontory above is the medieval fortified citadel. Late afternoon, after a short walking tour with a local guide through the pedestrianised old town, we enjoy a tasting of local produce and wine in a delicatessen specialising in charcuterie.Your evening is free.
Day 13: Scandola Reserve cruise & My Time’ in Calvi
This morning we board a boat and take a terrific cruise along the coast to see the fabulous cliffs and calanques (narrow, steep walled inlets) of the UNESCO World Heritage listed Scandola Nature Reserve, in the Gulf of Girolata. The gigantic rocky outcrops, which emerge from the deep blue water, catch the sun and create an amazing contrast of colour between the sea and sky. Accessible only by boat, the tiny hamlet of Girolata is the perfect place to spend a couple of hours relaxing over lunchtime and a swim in the turquoise bay is a must! Returning to Calvi mid-afternoon, the rest of you day and evening are at leisure. Calvi is a delightful place to stroll around, filled to the brim with shops, cafés and ‘al fresco’ dining.
Day 14: ‘My Time’ in Calvi and L’ile Rousse
This morning, My Time’ to relax and explore Calvi at your own pace. Lunchtime is spent in the nearby, ‘oh so French’ port of L’ile Rousse. Stroll around the old town, through the paved streets named after historical characters such as Pascal Paoli, Napoleon and Louis Philippe. Visit the delightful main square, Place Paoli, shaded by old plane trees and admire the magnificent Florentine -inspired houses. This evening we will enjoy a farewell dinner in a local restaurant.
Day 15: Calvi to Bastia
Your tour ends today after breakfast. Calvi has a small airport which is a short taxi ride away. For those wishing to catch a flight or ferry out of Bastia we have included a morning Group transfer. We recommend you book ferries and flights that depart Bastia after 1pm.
Incredible Value Inclusions
- ALL excursions, scenic drives, sightseeing and entrances as described
- Fully escorted by our experienced Tour Manager
- Travel in a first class air-conditioned touring coach
- 14 nights specially selected hotel accommodation
- Hotel porterage (1 bag per person)
- 23 Meals – including breakfast daily (B), a light lunch in a local vineyard, a shepherd's picnic lunch in the Supramonte Mountains (L) and 7 dinners (D)
- Tea, coffee and a complimentary beverage with all included dinners
- Welcome drink in Cagliari and on the Champagnoteque Terrace in Su Gologone
- Hand Selected Albatross Experiences – Su Nuraxi Nuraghe, 4WD excursion deep into the Supramonte Mountains for shepherds picnic lunch, train ride to Corte, Neptune’s Cave and Scandola Nature Reserve cruises
- Local guides as described in the itinerary
- ALL tips to your Tour Manager, Driver and Local Guides
- Free WiFi on coach in Sardinia and at all hotels
No additional 'on tour' costs!
Regina Margherita - 2 nights
First class and in a great location a mere 200 metres in each direction to the port, the pedestrian shopping zone and the historical Bastione.
Su Gologone Experience Hotel - 3 nights
White washed villas and terraced rooms scattered up a hillside of olive trees, oleander blooms, hydrangeas and prickly pears, colourful décor with local crafts and artwork, stylish terraces and lounges.
Hotel Catalunya, Alghero - 2 nights
The 4 star Hotel Catalunya boasts a fantastic location, right on the edge of the historic old town.
Santa Teresa Hotel, Bonifacio - 2 nights
This excellent 3 star hotel, a former mansion built in the late 19th century, is located on the cliffs of Bonifacio. Offering breathtaking panoramic views of the Mediterranean Sea, the hotel is a short stroll from the old town.
Best Western Plus Hotel Amiraute, Ajaccio - 2 nights
This 4 star hotel, located on the outskirts of Ajaccio, boasts panoramic sea views. The hotel offers a contemporary design with modern facilities and an outdoor pool.
Hostellerie de l’Abbaye, Calvi - 3 nights
In a great location just 200 metres from the old town, what was once a 16th century Franciscan monastery is now an elegantly furnished 4 star hotel, offering contemporary, air conditioned guest rooms.