What clothing to pack for your European Festive Tour
Travelling in Europe over Christmas and New Year will mean, yes, the weather can get rather cold - but not that cold. There is no reason why you should ever be uncomfortable as your first class coach is fitted with heaters and double glazed windows and your hotels will be warm and comfortable. Just remember a few simple points and all will be well.
- You will want to keep some winter clothes at hand for when you first arrive.
- Wear a woollen ‘beanie’or hat. (A body loses the majority of its heat through the top of the head).
- More layers are better than thicker layers. Base your clothing around a simple set of thermal underclothes, spencers etc. Add normal clothing, a woollen jumper and then a good overcoat jacket. If you arrive and feel the need to add to your clothes the shops are brimming with perfect winter clothes.
- Buy some gloves. If you are especially concerned about cold fingers get mittens as they are warmer.
- Your Christmas hotel should be very warm, so make sure you have a couple of items of light clothing.
- Sunglasses and block-out sunscreen – snow can be very ‘glary’. Ensure you pack sunglasses, especially for an on snow trip where 100% block out is essential.
- Kid’s stuff” – a special note for families with children who wish to play in the snow. If you don’t have any special snow/ski clothes you can make do with easy to buy waterproof leggings that go over your trousers or tracksuit pants.
Ski clothes and hire
Throughout Europe you can generally hire ski gear including skis, boots, goggles etc (except clothing such as jackets and pants) from the local ski shops in the area. Please note not all ski shops will have all services available to hire.
Comfortable shoes are a must
Comfy, sturdy ‘day to day’ shoes with grip are a must. You should aim to keep your feet warm and dry. When sightseeing you may be spending some time on your feet so please make sure you bring comfortable shoes. As indicated in the brochure, in Europe, especially in Italy, we visit a variety of medieval hilltop towns which may have some steep, uneven cobbled stone streets or castles with various levels accessible only by long or steep stairwells. Additionally some larger cities only provide coach passenger drop off points 15 minutes or so walk from the old town centres. Please ensure you bring appropriate footwear.
Visiting churches and basilicas
Many churches and religious sights require conservative clothing to be worn when visiting. In European countries ladies and gentleman are both required to wear modest skirts or shorts covering your knees and tops to cover your shoulders down to the elbows. Short skirts, tighter shorts, singlets or bare midriffs are not permissible. We suggest you carry a scarf during the day to wrap around your shoulders or legs if needed.
Bathing clothes and towels
Depending on your tour, some hotels you will be staying in may have leisure facilities including swimming pools, whirlpool/spas and sauna. We suggest you consider packing a light travel towel to use at hotel pools and beaches. If you plan to use the hotel towels, please check with the hotel as to their policy regarding pool/beach towels as many provide towels for use at pools or beaches, and bathroom towels are not to be used.
Dressing for dinner
Dress smart is best for all evening meals. Can we ask the gentlemen to wear long pants to dinner and a collared shirt. Please make sure you also pack acceptable footwear as thongs and sneakers are not acceptable footwear for inside hotel and local restaurants in the evenings. Thank you.
Special Event Dress Code
- New Year with the Sound of Music: New Year's Eve Gala Dinner is a black tie event. The dress code is formal attire; Dark suit or tuxedo for men and an evening gown or cocktail dress for ladies.
- A Bavarian Fairytale New Year: New Year's Eve dinner dress is smart attire.
Northern Lights, Ice Hotels & Huskies Tour
Due to the climate at this time of year in Scandinavia, arctic clothing will be provided for the activities on Day 3 and 5. Adult sizes ranging from Small to XXXX Large are available.