German Fairytale Christmas Tour
10 days only $4,999 pp twin share
- Stay 5 nights in the heart of Bavaria
- Stay in authentic, character style hotels
- Genuinely inclusive, no additional on tour costs
- Guaranteed 'My Time'
- Designed for Australians & New Zealanders
- Personal group sizes up to 40
- Celebrate Christmas over 5 nights in the historical Bavarian town of Füssen
- Savour the fabulous Christmas Markets in Frankfurt, Rothenburg, Würzburg, Bamberg, Nürnberg and Munich
- Enjoy a Christmas Eve lunch overlooking Lake Hopfensee, a traditional Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas Day Turkey lunch, a ‘Farewell to Bavaria’ dinner and Swiss Folklore Show with dinner in Luzern’s Stadtkeller
- Stay 2 nights in the cobble stoned streets of Rothenburg barely 100 metres from perhaps the most romantic of all Christmas Markets and enjoy a Nightwatchman walking tour
- Visit the baroque Würzburg, starting point of the ‘Romantic Road’ plus Nürnberg, UNESCO World Heritage listed Bamberg and Munich
- Explore picturesque Füssen, take the Tegelberg Cable Car high up the mountains and relax on a horse drawn carriage ride
- Enjoy visits to Neuschwanstein Castle, Hohenschwangau Castle and extravagant Linderhof Palace
- Enjoy a farewell night in the lovely lakeside town of Luzern
Hear about this tour first hand from an Albatross traveller - read about John and Suzanne's experience on this tour.
Day 1: Frankfurt
Day 2: Wurzburg Christmas Markets, ‘My Time’ in Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber and a Night Watchman torchlit walk
We soon reach the baroque city of Würzburg, starting point of the ‘Romantic Road’, where we explore the Altstadt (old town) with its Christmas markets scattered amongst the historic buildings. We then continue to nearby Rothenburg, possibly the finest medieval city in all of Europe, where we stay two nights. Your afternoon is free to enjoy the delightful cobblestoned streets, ramparts and turrets of picture perfect Rothenburg. A ‘must do’ is a visit to the famous ‘Christmas Shop’ known for its stunning displays. The Christmas Markets, set in the narrow alleys, 50 yards from your hotel, are perhaps the quaintest you will ever see.
This evening, after dinner in your hotel, we have included a special treat – a torchlight tour with the Night Watchman through the beautifully preserved ramparts and winding streets.
Day 3: Bamberg and Nürnberg Christmas Markets
We have included a full day excursion. First stop is the nearby UNESCO World Heritage listed city of Bamberg, which boasts hundreds of buildings, mansions and palaces displaying the various stages of architecture dating back 1,000 years. Famous for its unique ‘smoked’ beer and antique shops – Bamberg is one of Germany’s best kept secrets. In the afternoon we continue to the massive stone towers and gates of medieval Nürnberg. Once the setting for enormous Nazi rallies and the War Crimes trials, Nürnberg now boasts extensive pedestrian walkways and the most splendid Christmas Markets in Europe. This huge market has
a unique law that only traditional Christmas artefacts are allowed for sale. As dusk approaches, the music and singing, Christmas lights and smell of mulled wine, roasting sausages, chestnuts and sweets fill the air.
We return to Rothenburg early evening.
Day 4: Munich Christmas Markets and delightful Füssen
Travelling south we reach Munich, capital of Bavaria, late morning. Rebuilt since the war, the central walking precinct is a mass of people and activity. The shopping is excellent. Perhaps take lunch in one of the numerous cafés or a giant Beer Hall? A perfect place for some final Christmas shopping (and yes there are Christmas Markets all around the old Town Hall). Mid afternoon we continue to the picturesque town of Füssen where we stay the next five nights. Füssen is delightful! Stretches of the original Roman defensive walls are still in place, and the town’s historic character is particularly evident along the cobbled Reichenstrasse. High above, the old castle of the Prince-Bishops of Augsburg dominates the town. All dinners, including traditional Christmas Eve dinner, ‘Farewell to Bavaria’ dinner, and two lunches are included over the next five nights.
Day 5: Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castle visits
Day 6: ‘My Time’ in Füssen and lunch on Lake Hopfensee
Day 7: Christmas Day – ride in a horse drawn carriage and on the Tegelberg cable car
Christmas as it should be - relaxing, eating, drinking and definitely no Indiana Jones repeats, washing up and unwelcome long-lost relatives! A highlight today will be a ride in a horse drawn carriage through the local countryside. Enjoy a Christmas Day lunch at your hotel and later in the afternoon we will take a cable car ride up to Tegelberg to take in the breath-taking views down onto the majestic Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castles far below. Time to take those ‘perfect’ photos.
Day 8: Wieskirche, Oberammergau and Linderhof Palace
Day 9: Vaduz and ‘My Time’ in lakeside Luzern
Day 10: Luzern
Sadly your Christmas tour is now complete, and it is time to bid farewell. For those of you joining one of our wonderful New Year Tours that begin in Munich or Milan, the good news is, we have arranged complimentary Group transfers.
Incredible Value Inclusions
- All excursions, scenic drives, sightseeing and entrances as described
- Fully escorted by our experienced Tour Manager
- Travel in a first class air conditioned touring coach
- 9 nights authentic, specially selected hotel accommodation as described
- Hotel porterage (1 suitcase pp)
- Welcome drink in Frankfurt
- 19 Meals – Buffet breakfast daily (B), 2 lunches (L) and 8 evening dinners (D)
- A complimentary wine, beer or soft drink with all included dinners
- Tea and coffee with all included dinners
- Local guides as described in the itinerary
- Free WiFi on most coaches and at hotels
- End of tour tips to Tour Manager and Driver, tips for local guides
- Albatross Tours travel App
Tilman Riemenschneider, Rothenburg – 2 NightsThis splendid old half timbered hotel is superbly located inside the old medieval walls barely 50 metres from the central market square. The hotel offers restaurants traditionally decorated with original paintings and wooden carvings and rooms with individually painted alpine-inspired furniture, private facilities, cable TV and hair dryers.
Hotel Hirsch, Fussen - 5 NightsSuperbly located in the picturesque town of Füssen, Hotel Hirsch, built in the “Art Nouveau” style, has been owned by the same family for four generations. The hotel combines elegantly modern comfort and the Bavarian ambience. All rooms have private facilities, television and telephone.
Hotel Schweizerhof, Luzern - 1 NightThis 5 star hotel located on the banks of the Lake, in the heart of Luzern's old town, is one of Switzerland's finest hotels. The stunning interior reflects the brilliance of the grand era of the 19th Century. You will be charmed by the rooms which are discreetly elegant whilst being equipped with all the modern facilities required to ensure your comfort.
The tour and inclusions were excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Many thanks to our tour manager who was amazing with her extensive knowledge of all areas visited. It was a pleasure to be on her tour.
A well organised tour. Everything organised for you with flexibility. Our tour manager had good knowledge of the history generally and, in particular, the places we visited.
This tour would rate as possibly the best I have ever attended. Our tour director Ernst was in simple terms AMAZING and an absolute credit to himself and a superb representation of Albatross Tours. We, (my wife and I) enjoyed every moment of the tour. The Christmas Eve church service in Fussen was a real highlight. Well done Albatross!
What a great way to spend Christmas and see the beauty of Germany. The pace of the tour was perfect. We had enough spare time and was sufficiently occupied for the rest of the time with interesting and eye opening activities. Our tour manager, Ernst was amazing. He was attentive and made sure the stories kept alive the experience. Driver Jean was brilliant.
Christine & Andrew
An absolutely fantastic holiday - meet all our expectations and more! Would highly recommend and look forward to doing other tours with Albatross in the future. Thank you.
Dates and Prices
Book with Confidence
If you book and deposit on any of our tours, as long as there are just 10 or more people travelling on your designated group departure, we guarantee it will travel.
Have you travelled with Albatross Tours previously? Save $200 on our European Summer and Oberammergau tours (over 8 days) or $100 on our Festive tours.
No Additional 'On Tour' Costs
Over $100 value of extras per day are already included. There are no additional 'on tour' costs - even your end of tour tips are included!