Portugal is a vivacious country that’s full of life. Amid the old-fashioned villages and bustling cities you’ll meet countless locals who will be eager to share their love of history, food and fun. It’s no surprise that street festivals are commonplace in Portugal - the streets fill with drink, food and dancing in celebration of the life of the saints, the joy of music, the rich history or the passion of local dance.
The best Portugal tours explore the 800 kilometres of pristine coastline, dotted with quaint, quiet towns full of fishing folk and thriving resort towns that are home to countless shops, restaurants and bars. For the full Portugal tourism experience, make sure you head inland to experience the granite peaks of the Portuguese mountain ranges and the rolling hills of fertile farmland.
Albatross Tour’s captivating Portugal tour itinerary visits the big cities of Porto and Lisbon, while making time to experience lesser-known but equally impressive destinations such as:
- Guimarães: Originally founded in the 10th century, Guimarães is a large city in northern Portugal that is said to be the place where ‘Portugal was born’. It’s primarily a historic town with ancient castles, museums and cultural institutions; however, the growth of the local university and student population has brought increased energy to the region.
- Évora: Sitting above the rolling grass plains of the Alentejo in southwest Portugal, Évora is a 14th century town full of delightful alleyways, bucolic wineries and traditional restaurants. Praça do Giraldo, the main city square, was once used as execution grounds but is now a tourist mecca for the wonderful gothic and Romanesque architecture.
- Sintra: Built around a charming palace that could have inspired countless fairy tales, Sintra is a large town that sits atop the ferny Sintra Mountains. There is an abundance of Romantic-era monuments in town, including the medieval Castle of the Moors and the arabesque Pena National Palace, which is why the town is now considered a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Outside of town, there are a number of scenic walking trails that follow the rich forest as it creeps over granite mountains.
Magnifico Spain & Portugal
18 Glorious Days
Discover Granada’s Alhambra Palace, Ronda, Seville, cruise on the Alto Douro, see Segovia's dramatic Alcazar, plus more!
- Leisurely 2 and 3 night stays
- Small group tour, maximum 28
- Guaranteed 'My Time'
- Character hotels in superb locations