A Swiss Christmas in Zermatt
11 days only $5,399 pp twin share
- Leisurely 2 and 4 night stays
- Stay in authentic, character style hotels
- Genuinely inclusive, no additional on tour costs
- The festive tour experts
- Designed for Australians & New Zealanders
- Guaranteed group departures
- Celebrate Christmas over 4 nights in the first class Alex hotel, in snow drenched Zermatt, surrounded by soaring peaks of the high Swiss Alps and beside the mighty Matterhorn
- Relax and pamper yourself over Christmas in the excellent fitness, spa and wellness centre of your delightful chalet style hotel
- Savour the fabulous Christmas Markets in Munich, Salzburg, Innsbruck and Lindau
- Savour special festive dinners including Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinners, and a farewell dinner in Luzern
- Stay 2 nights in Fuschl in the Austrian Lakes District, enjoy a hot drink and biscuits in Salzburg and visit the ‘Silent Night Chapel’
- Explore medieval Innsbruck
- Stay 2 nights in Appenzell, visit historic Lindau and enjoy a horse drawn carriage ride
- Glide through the Swiss Alps in the Glacier Express panoramic train carriages from Chur to Zermatt
- Ride on the Gornergrat funicular and see the mighty Matterhorn at 3,100 metres and enjoy a mulled wine at the Kulmhotel surrounded by dozens of 4,000 metre high peaks
- Enjoy a walking tour of Zermatt’s historical old town
Day 1: 17 December - Munich
Your tour commences this evening in cosmopolitan Munich. Shopping is always excellent in Munich – particularly around the town hall and the decorated wooden Christmas Market stalls. Before your Bavarian style buffet dinner enjoy a welcome drink in the hotel.
Day 2: 18 December - Fuschl
Day 3: 19 December - Fuschl
Day 4: 20 December - Appenzell
Day 5: 21 December - Appenzell
Day 6: 22 December - Zermatt
At Chur we board the famous Glacier Express train which takes us along the ‘Valais’ through Switzerland’s finest mountain scenery to the world-famous alpine resort of Zermatt, where we stay the next four magical nights over Christmas. Set at an altitude of 5,315 ft, the village is surrounded by dozens of huge Alpine peaks and dominating all is the mighty Matterhorn. Petrol-driven vehicles are banned from the village and as such the peace and quiet enhances the wooden chalets and small winding village streets. Stunning!
Day 7: 23 December - Zermatt
This morning a local guide will join us for a walking tour of this fascinating mountain retreat, from its modern chic apartments and hotels to the little winding streets still lined with traditional stone and slate hamlets and cottages. The rest of the day is free to relax in the crisp clean air. Perhaps explore the town or go for a walk on the 70 kilometres of winter trails along the valley.
Day 8: 24 December - Zermatt
Christmas Eve! To celebrate, we have included a ride on the Gornergrat funicular train (cog railway) up to the highest open air railway station in Europe - the Gornergrat. At 3,100 metres (10,170 feet) the view from the top across the Alps is beyond belief. We have also included a cup of warming mulled wine on the terrace of the Kulmhotel restaurant, surrounded by one of the great vistas of the world – the mighty Matterhorn and the 28 other 4,000 metre high peaks that surround you. Tonight we continue the celebrations with a wonderful six course Christmas Eve dinner in our hotel.
Day 9: 25 December - Zermatt
Christmas Day! What a magnificent location to relax and do as much, or as little, as you want! Whether you are a ‘super active snow sports’ person or a ‘take it easy and relax’ person there are numerous activities you can enjoy, and your Tour Manager will be at hand to assist and advise you. You will be in the heart of the Matterhorn glacier paradise and the whole valley and mountainside is alive with activity. There are numerous cable cars and lifts that can whisk you up the mountains. At virtually all ‘drop off’ points there are restaurants, cafés and observation points - usually with extraordinary panoramic views spanning the jagged Alps. Perhaps take a cable car up to the Klein Matterhorn. At 3,883 metres, it is the highest cable car station in Europe. From here you can clearly see Europe’s highest mountain Mont Blanc (4,810 metres) which is in France, and the summit of the Gran Paradiso in Italy. Alternatively, catch a lift to Rotenboden and visit the igloo village where you can enjoy a Swiss cheese fondue or a ‘white igloo mulled wine’ in the ice bar. The toboggan ride down to Zermatt also starts from here! A gourmet Christmas Day dinner is included at your hotel.
Day 10: 26 December - Luzern
Driving to Montreux on Lake Geneva, we have included entrance and a guided tour through the beautifully preserved Chateau Chillon. Later we journey on to the lovely lake-side town of Luzern with its covered wooden bridges. Tonight enjoy a farewell dinner.
Day 11: 27 December - Luzern
Incredible Value Inclusions
- Fully escorted by our experienced Tour Manager
- Travel in a first class air conditioned touring coach
- 10 nights authentic, specially selected hotel accommodation as described
- Hotel porterage (1 suitcase pp)
- Free use of fitness, spa and wellness centre in your Zermatt hotel
- Welcome drink in Munich
- 19 Meals – Buffet breakfast daily (B) and 9 evening dinners (D)
- A complimentary wine, beer or soft drink with all included dinners
- Tea and coffee with all included dinners
- All excursions, scenic drives, sightseeing, train journeys and entrances as described
- Local guides as described in the itinerary
- Free WiFi on most coaches and at hotels
- End of tour tips to Tour Manager and Driver, tips for local guides
- Albatross Tours travel App
Seerose Hotel, Fuschl - 2 NightsThis family run hotel, with its warm and friendly atmosphere, is located right on the banks of Lake Fuschl. Featuring a restaurant with stunning lake views you will be welcomed by rooms featuring safe, television, private bathroom and a balcony.
Hotel Hecht, Appenzell - 2 Nights
Centrally located in the historic and charming town centre. All hotel rooms feature a private bathroom and are equipped with a television.
Alex Hotel, Zermatt - 4 Nights
This superb 4 star chalet hotel is located right in the heart of Zermatt village, beside the Gorgergrat funicular. Traditionally decorated and furnished, the Alex boasts an excellent fitness centre, spa and wellness centre, including indoor pool, sauna, spa and even an indoor squash and tennis court.
I have just arrived home after the 2011 Christmas in a Swiss Spa Resort and New Year in Paris Tours with Albatross.
Firstly I would like to congratulate Albatross for the overall excellence in tour management. It was my first tour with Albatross and right from the start I was very impressed with the professionalism and attention to detail especially on the Christmas tour. I have travelled extensively over the years on different tours and must say Albatross has surpassed all my expectations and I would highly recommend them to my friends in the future.
Our tour guide and just a gem. She is on the ball the whole time and tried to cater to all the different needs of many different personalities. She has researched her regions very well and was most informative to us while travelling on the coach. Not to mention her great personality and sense of humour which kept all the Australians quite amused. She also made sure everyone was settled in ok and happy. The Christmas tour was just fabulous with plenty of snow and I was amazed that each new day something more exciting was in store for us. Our coach driver also did a fantastic job and kept everyone relaxed and safe.
Dates and Prices
No Additional 'On Tour' Costs
Over $100 value of extras per day are already included. There are no additional 'on tour' costs - even your end of tour tips are included!
Have you travelled with Albatross Tours previously? Save $200 on our European Summer tours or $100 on our Christmas and ANZAC tours.
Book with Confidence
If you book and deposit on any of our tours, as long as there are just 10 or more people travelling on your designated group departure, we guarantee it will travel.